Tuesday, April 28, 2009

WOD 4-27-09

21-15-9

15 lb. Dumbbell Overhead Lunge
15 lb. Dumbbell Box Jumps (13" box)
15 lb. Dumbbell Push-Ups

Time: 7:50

This was a good one! Nice and quick, but having those dumbbells throughout definitely made a difference! The push-ups were by far the toughest part, but much easier than they would have been about a month ago. I am very happy with my strength gains.
Before the workout we did some work on progression moves and focused on the handstand push-up and dips. Now the handstand push-up I still have trouble with, and I know that is due to core strength. I think I have the core strength there, it is more an issue of actively calling on myself to engage those muscles at the right time. I get so focused on using my shoulders I forget to keep the core engaged. So just progressing day by day will help me to get my body in synch.
Then we moved onto the dips. We used the Gravitron machine to give us some assistance. About 3-4 weeks ago I could do a full dip (shoulders next to hands, none of that 90 degree bs!) with 50 lbs. of assistance, and that was a struggle. Last night I was able to do it with only 20 lbs. of assistance and I really think I could have gone with 10, but Laura didn't want me to fatigue myself too much before the workout. So that was just awesome - seeing such an improvement in my shoulder and chest strength. Mental strength and confidence too, as that plays a huge part in all of these exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment