Sunday, June 28, 2009

WOD 6-27-09: Crossfit Houston Summer Challenge

WOD 1 (Women's Standard division):

21/15/9

Row for calories on C2 rower
Deadlifts (155 lbs.)
Lateral burpees (over a parralette)

(12 minute time limit)

Results: DNF

I was just finishing the row on the 3rd round when time was up. This workout was extremely tough, and of the 11 women in the division only 3 moved onto the next WOD. And those three ladies are no joke, so congrats to them for completing a very grueling set of workouts.

When I first read about the challenge I struggled with the decision between the standard and modified divisions, and even on Friday when I learned what the WODs would be and had the opportunity to switch. In the end I stuck with the standard division, and even though I thoroughly sucked, I am glad I didn't switch to the modified division. It's just like with the WODs at the gym every day. Coach Laura always tells me - you can scale it and do less than the rx'd weight, but then what does that tell you? And she is absolutely right. I would much rather get my ass handed to me by some awesome athletes (aka Lindsey Smith, Adrian Sanders and Grace Patenaude) than do well at a lighter weight/lower rep WOD and be disillusioned that I am in their league. So it was definitely dissapointing at the time, but a great learning experience. The NASA challenge gave me a kick in the ass and I definitely feel that I made progress in my strength and overall conditioning in the past month. So yesterday's challenge will be an even harder kick and just make me train that much harder.

Thanks to my mom for coming out and cheering me on and "fanning" me with her visor although all that really came out of that was a sore arm for her. Also a big thank you to Laura, Matt, Jessica and Donna for coming out and cheering me on, and making me work harder when I workout with yall. I wish I could have done better for you guys! And thanks to Dr. Taylor who I could hear cheering me on as she was judging the girl next to me! My mom attempted to take some pictures, but unfortunately she was using my camera instead of her own. So the "7 or 8" that she took was actually 3. And here is the best one, haha.



During the deadlift portion I believe, but it could possibly be the lateral burpees. Dr. Taylor to the left.

Pictures taken by the folks at Crossfit Houston can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossfithouston/sets/72157620538512169/show/

1 comment:

  1. You were absolutely awesome GIRL! YOU & I are going to compete and train for the fall Challenge! We will kick thier a**es!!!!!
    That's a promise!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete