Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sectional Prep WODs 1-30-10

7:00 AM WOD - Crossfit West Houston
AMRAP in 12 minutes:
5/5 1-arm kettlebell thruster (35 lbs.)
10 chest to bar pull-ups
15 double unders
Rounds: 4 + thrusters + 3 pull-ups

I was initially scared to death by the chest to bar pull-ups, but they really weren't all that bad! So that is nice to know that I can do them, and I will make them my standard from here on out. Thrusters with the kettlebells were a little awkward, and again that dang left side was much weaker, but I was able to breeze through these. Double unders were ok - I was able to knock out 5 or 6 at a time before I got tripped up. I am continuing to work on these so I am confident they won't be a problem in the near future. Turns out Friday's WOD was a pretty good warm up - thrusters and double unders. I placed 3rd out of the 7 girls that worked out, so that was awesome. It was not a competition, just a group WOD of Houston athletes competing in the Austin Sectionals in March. But, it is nice to see how you stack up against some of the best Crossfitters in Houston!

1:00 PM WOD - Bayou City Crossfit
400 meter run
3 rounds of:
7 cleans (105 lbs.)
14 box jumps (20 inch)
7 burpees

400 meter run

Time: 12:52

I did not fare so well on this one. I do really well on the fast body-weight stuff, but when it comes to heavy weights (and 105 lbs. is heavy to me!) I really slow down. Those cleans were really tough - my previous 1RM PR was 103 lbs.! I finished 6 out of 7 on this. I was initially really dissapointed, but thinking about it now, I am pretty proud of myself. It was heavier than I have ever done, and the time was pretty decent. I would say I was within 1 to 2 minutes of everyone, so that is not too bad. Taking off today (Sunday) as I feel like I have been hit by a truck! Back is super sore from the chest to bar pull-ups, and traps are really sore from the cleans - I was shrugging the heck out of those.

Finishing the first 400 meter run.

105 lb. cleans!

Burpees. Please note that that is air (hopefully) in my shorts. I do not believe it is my ass filling them out.
A few thanks -
Thank you to Coach Laura for pushing me every day. I would not be anywhere close to where I am now if it wasn't for your programming, constant encouragment and setting the bar for where I need to be. Thank you for waking up at an unGodly hour yesterday to go with me to Crossfit West Houston and then Bayou City Crossfit in the afternoon. Thanks to Donna and Ginger for making the Bayou City trip, as well as the great photos! Thanks to Dr. Taylor for helping me get stronger on my Olympic lifts - technique is the only thing that got me through those cleans yesterday. Everyone at Crossfit Bay Area - thank you for your support and encouragement and I love working out with yall. And a final thanks to Rob at Crossfit West Houston and Vic at Bayou City Crossfit for hosting the Sectional Prep WODs. It is really nice to take advantage of the great Crossfit community here in Houston. Gracious - it sounds like I am warming up for a Grammy acceptance speech or something! I know I haven't even won anything, but I am really happy with my progress and I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that there is no way I could have done this on my own.

1 comment:

  1. You are soo welcome! You rocked this weekend! Pr's on the chest to bar pull ups and 105 lb. cleans!!! What's not to be proud of! You have come along way from last March and I'm very proud of you. We are going to have a blast in Allen,TX next weekend and you can bring some more! It was weird doing the 9 miles alone tonight. You get some rest and we'll go back at it tomorrow! It's been an honor going down this road with you and I look forward to what's to come! Again GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete