Monday, January 12, 2009

WOD 1-12-09

For time 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 rep rounds of:
Virtual shoveling
Pull-ups

Virtual Shoveling: with an Olympic bar holding only one plate (men use 45 pound plate, women use 25 pound plate), touch the plate on one side of the barrier then the other for one "rep." Barrier is 24."

Post time to comments.


Whooowee this was a KILLER!! And I severely modified it. Ah! I tried the first round with a 25# plate and did 5 reps and was done. I thought, no way can I get through this going this heavy. So, I put a 10# plate on and went to work. I also subbed push-ups (modified on lowest setting of Smith machine, harder than on the knees, but not quite as hard as regular) for pull-ups because logistically how I was set up in the gym, the transition from the virtual shoveling to pull-ups just wasn't feasible. So I went through the workout and switched sides halfway through each set (set 1: 30 = 15 right side, 15 left side, etc.). I was able to complete this in 21:08. Granted, my time would have been much longer had I done the prescribed workout. So after 21 minutes I was drenched with sweat and definitely breathing hard. I felt guilty about not doing any pull ups so I did two rounds of 25 sit-ups and 20 assissted pull-ups. After that I was completely wiped out, and I was only at the gym for about 35 minutes.

So I got home at about 7:00 am and struggled up the stairs as my lower back, obliques, intercoastals, and legs were extremely fatigued. Also my hands are a mess as pretty much all of these workouts involve an Olympic bar or pull-ups, so my callouses are pretty rough. But it was a great workout and I love being sore because I know I really pushed myself. Even though I know I could have pushed myself even harder and completed the Rx'd WOD, I am trying to be smart about things and not injure myself. So that was it for today, we shall see what tomorrow brings! Also, yesterday was in fact a rest day, but I worked 7:30 - 1 at the gym with clients every hour so I was moving all morning. It was really nice to relax yesterday afternoon though - it was an absolutely beautiful day, about 85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. So I took Pod out several times to just sit outside in the back of my apartments where they have picnic areas, a basketball court, and the whole area is an "off-leash area" so there are usually several dogs running around playing. Pod got particularly sassy with a large dog that was just minding his own business, I'm thinking it was a Border Collie mix, so I had to wrangle him in and take him upstairs for a while so he didn't get himself into trouble. The other dog probably just thought there was a fly buzzing around! Haha Pod was doing his best to be menacing and the other dog didn't even blink an eye. Sweet dog, really. The Border Collie. Pod really is sweet though, I think he just feels he needs to prove that he's tough sometimes, whether it be to other dogs or bearded uncles.

Also as a side note I am quite excited about turning my Dad's back patio workout area (punching bag, weight bench, treadmill not too far away in the garage) into a great place for CrossFit workouts. I can easily go to the front and do any running, and there are great steps that will be good subs for box jumps, and I can put up my pull-up bar in the doorway leading from the back to the garage. And I might just see if I can buy a large rope and attach it to one of the trees....if it is sturdy enough...and if I can get up there to secure it.

2 comments:

  1. You better be careful with those stairs on the back patio. They are so steep - I can definitely see some shredded shins occurring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I meant the steps from the grass up to the porch - no way I would ever jump on the stairs on that staircase! I would bust my shins and most likely bust through the stairs!!

    ReplyDelete