Sunday, January 4, 2009

WOD 1-4-08

Today's workout:

Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 reps.

Seems reasonably simple, but this workout is about pure strength. Go as heavy as you can, take as long as you need. Now, this isn't really my favorite type of workout, but I was so sore from yesterday (glutes, shoulders, upper back) that I welcomed a short/low-intensity workout.

I've never really done deadlifts before, and if so, it was normally the stiff-legged "Romanian" variation that focuses on the hamstrings, with really light weights, maybe 45#. The full deadlift really strengthens the back, legs and grip, and you can go heavier on the weights because you are using more muscle groups.

So I had delusions of grandeur and thought I could maybe make it up to 215#, well no go on that. I was able to do 135# pretty easily for all 5 sets. I didn't want to push it on the weight because I am still working on getting the form correct. So I felt pretty good afterwards, hamstrings and forearms were definitely feeling it, so I did a short bout of cardio with a stair run. I did up and down 6 flights and that got the heart pumping pretty good. I figured I shouldn't over-do it today, so that is all I did for cardio. Then I did 2 x 15 hanging knee raises with the ab strabs and 2 x 15 knee raises on a Pilates box thing (killer! - just stand on the board and bring knees up to chest, MUCH harder than it seems! great because you really get the curl of the hips towards the rib cage, one of the most effective movements for developing abs):


And that was it for today's workout. Lord knows what tomorrow will bring! It will be an early morning tomorrow, getting to the gym at 6:00, but will be nice to get in a workout and be home in time for work and calls from the office (I work remotely for a company in Dallas, so with the time difference I have to be available pretty early). So anyways, tomorrow will bring another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment