Thursday, February 5, 2009

WOD 2-5-09

Wow, it has been forever since I have posted. Fortunately, it has not been forever since I've worked out. I have been having really good workouts all week, testing out the stuff in the back yard and incorporating more running. I have not adhered to any CrossFit workouts, but I will start soon.

If you leave my parent's street and go out onto the main street - Space Center Blvd - it is one mile down to the next major intersection - Clear Lake City Blvd. So, down and back is 2 miles. Now I know 2 miles sounds like nothing to those training for marathons, and even for me, when 8 to 10 miles used to seem like nothing. But for now, I am content with the daily 2 miler.

I have started each workout this week with a two mile run, and my times are consistently improving.
  • Tues: 16:30
  • Wed: 16:15
  • Thurs: 15:42

My goal is 2 miles in 15:00, and I hope to reach that by the end of next week. (Also I think within a couple of weeks I will either start running a longer route or just doing an additional two miles after the lifting portion of the workout, depending on whether or not the WOD is cardio-intensive or not.) After each run I have been doing high-rep/light-weight exercises. Some examples:

  • 50 reps of 25 lb. bench press
  • 50 reps of 25 lb. bicep curl
  • 50 reps of 25 lb. back squat
  • 50 reps of 8 lb. medicine ball swing
  • 50 reps of 25 lb. shoulder press
  • 50 crunches
  • 50 push-ups
  • 50 pull ups (5 x 10)

So as you can see I am keeping the volume very high and the weight very light. But, I am excited to get back to CrossFit WODs, and I will post more regularly. Just so I can have a record, and in case anyone is curious, I am going to post my 1 rep max loads for the basic lifts:

  • Shoulder press: 65 lbs. with barbell, 70 lbs. with two 35 lb. dumbbells
  • Bench press: 95 lbs. but I am sure with a spot I could get up 115 lbs. at least once
  • Back squat: 135 lbs., once again, with a spotter I could probably get 155 lbs. - by far my weakest area!!
  • Bicep curl: 60 lbs.

Hopefully these numbers will go up as I do more strength-building Olympic lifts through CrossFit. A

1 comment:

  1. 2 miles, pshhhh. Amateur. Ha ha, totally j/k. I ran 1.5 miles last Saturday and almost passed out! Literally. I'm not sure if mom told you, but I'm dropping the full marathon and sprint tri in April and just concentrating on a half-marathon. I'll do a tri in August. I can't wait till it warms up and I can break out the road bike.

    ReplyDelete