Tuesday, April 14, 2009

WOD 4-14-09

"Sandbag Special"

5 Rounds for time:

35 lb. bag:
Clean and press - 15 reps
Carry bag and run/walk 200 meters
50 lb. bag:
Clean and push press - 10 reps
Carry bag and run/walk 200 meters
75 lb. bag:
Carry bag and run/walk 200 meters (rx'd for men to do 5 push presses...I would have attempted this if I thought I would have survived!)

Time: 43:30 (? - not positive about seconds...and I am pretty sure it was 43..somewhere in the 40s, I will confirm tomorrow night)

Mercy! This was by far the toughest workout I have done so far at Taylor. My hands were killing me because you have to constantly grip the bag. After the first round I was struggling, but it was actually easier as I went on because I learned how to best manipulate the bag and where to place it while running.
I was able to do a pretty good run with the 35 lb. bag across my shoulders. The 50 lb. wasn't too too bad, and I could keep a pretty steady pace by alternating walking and jogging. That 75 lb. bag..that thing was a killer. The toughest part by far was just getting it up off the ground and onto my shoulder. I lost a ton of time on the first round with the 75 lb. bag because I had it on my right shoulder, and when I went to switch it to my left I just couldn't hang onto it and dropped it. So I had to start all over with getting it off the dang ground! Rounds 2-5 were quicker because I just slung it over my right shoulder and adjusted it until it was on both shoulders, then just walked and didn't stop until I got back around to the gym. It was a great workout and I am definitely already feeling it in my back, shoulders, hands, and I am sure the legs will be soon to follow.
I was the only one in the gym this morning which was both good and not so good. It was good because it was just me racing against the clock, and I knew I would be setting the bar for the 6 pm class. It was also great having Coach Laura and Dr. Taylor there cheering me on.
The not so good part was that if there had been others working out, I might have pushed just a little harder (although for the record I was pushing just about as hard as this body can go) because I am super competitive, and that really drives me.
So, we shall see if my time holds up against the 6 pm-ers! In tomorrow at 6 pm..and I have a feeling I will need those extra hours of recovery!

Going to test out a med-ball only workout on Mom and Michelle tonight for Saturday's CL Boot Camp...I definitely got a few ideas from the sandbag workout!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Taylor gym thanks a lot!!!!

    Actually this was a great workout- I liked it!!!

    Thanks Megan!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete