Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WOD 4-21-09

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:

5 Thrusters (35 lbs.)
10 Sumo Deadlift High pulls (35 lbs.)
7 Hang Power Cleans (35 lbs.)

Rounds: 11 + 5 thrusters + 5 Sumo deadlifts = 11.5

This was the first "Barbell Tuesday" coached by Dr. Taylor and it was very informative - and tough! We worked on the hang power clean for the first 40 minutes, and it took a LOT of strength to get the technique right. You have your hands gripping the bar, your shoulders back and all of your back muscles tight as well as the legs, just standing in the starting position can be tiring. But its great, because I feel like I am getting more control over my muscles. When she says "tighten your back", I know which muscles to use. I think the clean is probably one of the most basic movements of Olympic weightlifting, but it is still really complex. There are a lot of movements involved and it takes a while for everything sync together. I have definitely made progress on the clean since I started working out at Taylor, and even though I know I still have a ways to go, I feel I am grasping it. But then again, when you are only dealing with 35 - 45 lbs., I guess anything would seem easy!

Then we did the WOD, and it was tough! A ton of squatting and you pretty much never need to drop the weight, so your hands/grip don't really get a rest. I was definitely spent after this one. I pushed really hard and I could tell that I was completely out of gas afterwards. Had a protein shake, lots of water and some fruit when I got home.

Train Michelle and Mom tonight, run in the morning, then into Taylor at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon. Then it is on to Outback Steakhouse for my dad's "celebration" dinner.

1 comment:

  1. What is the "celebration"? Have some shrimps on the barbie for me!! Also, have you heard the new Jesse McCartney/Ludacris song? I'm sure you have - but its a good one to add to your cardio playlist!

    ReplyDelete