Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Crossfit FX TX Games Unleashed Recap

On Saturday Feb. 6 I competed in the first annual Crossfit FX TX Games Unleashed in Allen, TX. The event consisted of 4 WODs:

WOD 1 - 3 attempts at 1RM split snatch


WOD 2 - 4 rounds for time of

  • 10 overhead squats (65 lbs.)

  • 40 meter kettlebell pull with movement (55 lbs.)

  • 10 manmakers (20 lb. dumbbells)

WOD 3 - 250 meter swim

WOD 4 - Chipper
  • 30 kettlebell overhead walking lunges (35 lbs.)
  • 30 knees to elbows

  • 30 kettlebell snatches (35 lbs.)

  • 30 pull-ups

  • 30 box jumps (20 inch)

  • 30 cleans (20 lb. dumbbells)

  • 30 ring push-ups

  • 30 deadlifts (115 lbs.)

  • 30 GHD sit-ups

  • 30 GHD back extensions

WOD 1

Well the split snatch was different! I had never done one, so it was an interesting lift. It was a pretty even playing field though, because it was tough to find another competitor that had done them or were comfortable with them. So it is just a snatch - floor to overhead, but instead of catching it in a squat you catch it in a split stance. I had to give the weight for my first attempt and I really had no clue what to do. I was very conservative and started at 60 lbs. Once I found out that other girls were starting at 95 lbs., I was pretty embarrased. So, my first attempt at 60 went up fine. I bumped up my next attempt to 80 lbs. The 80 felt easy and went up with no problem, but turns out I caught it a little loose and when I pressed it into a lockout, that DQ'ed the lift. I wasn't aware of this, so I bumped up my next attempt to 95. I couldn't even get that up, so that one definitely didn't count. I wish i would have known my second attempt was no good, because I would have stayed at 80 for my third attempt. I was pretty dissapointed with my performance in this event and was glad it was over.


WOD 2

There was a 25 minute time cap on this one, and I believe only 1 or 2 girls in the first heat made it in time. I was in the second heat, so I was definitely nervous after seeing that. That walking kettlebell movement killed me. It was so heavy and just wiped me out. Anything that makes overhead squats and manmakers seem easy, you know it is tough. After round 1 I was thinking
"this sucks". After round 2 "I am only halfway?!" Round 3 "would anybody notice if I just ran out the door right now?" Round 4 "I paid to do this sh!t?!? What the heck was I thinking?!" So I finished up the kettlebell movement right as the clock hit 25:00, missing the manmakers. With a DNF for this workout, I was very dissapointed. Mentally I was just not in a good place. It was such a reality check, a slap in the face of how far I have to go and how hard I need to work in order to even be competitive at these local events, especially the Crossfit Games qualifiers. So that was a horrible event for me but I was very glad it was over. The only consolation was that it seemed to be pretty tough for everyone, people were puking all over the place. It was pretty crazy!
After all the heats were finished for WOD 2 there was about a 1.5 hour lunch break. Matt, Laura, Donna, my mom and I all headed over to Which Wich for lunch. I wasn't all that hungry because I was already hurting, so I just ate half of my sandwich. It was tough to even eat that, but I knew I needed the food. Once we got back to CF FX TX I went inside to change for the swim event. I was talking to some of the other female competitors and they told me the standings had been posted. I went over to check them, expecting I was in last place, and I was in 4th! I don't know how the heck that happened, but my spirits literally soared. I was feeling so low after the first two WODs, that just knowing I had a glimmer of hope for top 3 made all the difference. Laura, Matt and Donna were out in the car because we were going to drive over the pool for the swim event, so I went running out saying "I'm in 4th! I'm in 4th!" - saying that just when I got to them, not like screaming it through the parking lot. Anways, so then I headed back in to change and then we drove over to the natatorium down the street. The swim event was closed to only competitors and judges, so it sucked that they could not watch. Also let me note that I was still very nervous about the swim - I have never been a great swimmer. I mean I can swim, but not like competitvely or anything.


WOD 3

I was in the second heat for the swim. After seeing the length of the pool and knowing that it really wasn't all that far, I started feeling really good. No one seemed to struggle too much in the first heat, and I knew that I could move faster. When my heat came up I jumped in and got my goggles situated, and just waited for the 3,2,1 go. As soon as I heard go I took off and could tell that I was taking an early lead. Now my form was not the best - I didn't put my head in the water until the very last sprint. But it was working for me and I was not going to change it. I settled into a pace that I knew I could sustain and just went for it. For one length I would kick and pull mostly with my right arm, and then on the next length I would kick and pull mostly with my left. That seemed to work pretty well and before I knew it I only had one lap to go. With about 15 yards left I just put my head down and went full steam ahead. In retrospect I wish I would have done that for the entire last length, but what can you do. I ended up first in my heat with a time of 4:34 and I was VERY pleased and surprised. My heart was beating so fast but it wasn't because I was tired, I was just so happy. I placed 1st in this event overall for the women. Once I got dried off and dressed I ran outside to find Laura, Matt, Donna and my mom to tell them the good news but they weren't there! Turns out they had gone to Kroger, so I went back inside to watch some more of the heats. About ten minutes later I saw my mom and Donna outside of the door so I went out and was like "whooo I did so well!" and they were all happy so that was a great moment. We headed back to gym so I could get changed, and then had to wait it out until the final workout got started.


WOD 4

After WOD 2, I was not that scared of the chipper. I like chippers because you stay at a movement until you are done, but then you can cross it off the list. Yeah it is going to suck for those 30 reps, but once you are done you won't have to do it again. At least that is what I kept telling myself! To be honest most of the workout was a blur, so I can't even properly recap it. I will just say that 30 is much higher number than it seems! When I got to the GHD sit-ups I cranked out a few reps but then just got so dizzy, so it took my a few seconds to get used to the movement. Once I was done with that 30 I knew I was in the home stretch. So I flipped over for my back extensions and just started cranking them out, I was able to do 20 really fast, but at that point I just wanted to stop. I could hear my mom, Laura, my judge and Matt just screaming at me to keep going, so I did. Matt was yelling so loud - I could definitely hear him above all else. But that was all I needed and I cranked out those last ten reps, and actually I think I was screaming too. My lower back hurt so bad, those last few reps were excruciating. But I was done! And so happy it was over. I think my time was around 23:00, but I won't know for sure until the official rankings and times are posted.
Since I was 4th going into WODs 3 and 4 and I did really well on 3 and fairly well on 4, I was pretty confident I had moved into 3rd place. After several men's heats of WOD 4, they finally announced the top 3. Points-wise, the top two girls were in a league of their own. The girl who got first place was amazing, I think she finished WOD 4 in like 16 minutes. But I was able to hang on to 3rd place and I was really happy about that. I was exhausted when we loaded up the van and headed home. Matt got us home in record time and I have never been so happy to see a shower and my bed!

Despite all of the pain and ups and downs, it was a great day. Thank you so much to Coach Laura for pushing me every day and giving me words of encouragement, even if I don't want to hear it at the time! Thank you to Matt for driving us up there and back safely (and quickly!) and for encouraging me at the competition and at the gym. Thanks to Donna for cheering me on! And thanks to my mom for always going with me to these things even though it kills her to see me in so much pain. It was really nice to have my own little entourage, especially so far from home. So thank yall so much and I really in truly would not have been able to do it without yall. Also thanks to Jason for letting us stay with you Friday night and for the excellent dinner! A tremendous thank you to Crossfit FX TX for putting on such a well run event, and thanks to all the other female competitors who were so nice and welcoming. Now, some pictures!


WOD 2 - Overhead squats


WOD 2 - Kettlebell pull with movement

The look on Coach's face is priceless. With only 1:30 left on the clock she knew there was no way I could finish!


WOD 2 - Manmakers


WOD 4

















The support crew! My mom, me, Coach Laura, Donna and Matt. Thank yall so much!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome recap!! And great pictures! I can't wait until we live closer so that I can come cheer you on at some of these events. Even though it was really tough, you did so great!! I know you will continue to improve mentally and physically as you get ready for the Crossfit Games. And I think you probably ran around the parking lot screaming "I'm in 4th" before you got to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't wait until yall are down here, too. The swim really boosted my confidence about triathlons - I am going to try and get in as many sprint distances as I can this year - I know of two local (Clear Lake and Texas City) plus the Red River Tri in Shreveport in August that I may do with Genie! Then we will tackle Austin together next year! I am looking to buy a good road bike soon - maybe a Trek this time around.

    ReplyDelete